New Year, New You!
Celebrate the New Year by kickstarting your mindfulness journey and building your own sacred space
With the world being in constant flux and with so much external stimuli surrounding us, mindfulness and living with intention is something more and more of us a turning to, whether it be through active or silent meditation, prayer, chanting, through breathwork or breathing exercises, through journaling, through interactions with nature such as hiking or simply just focusing intention on being 100% present with where and who we are.
5 tips for more intentional, mindful living
- Breathwork: Have you ever stopped to consider how important breathing is for our daily lives? It comes so naturally we can take for granted how important it is to focus on the quality of our breath and how a small shift can positively contribute to our physical and mental wellbeing. Follow this link Mindful.org for “A 6-Minute Breathing Meditation To Cultivate Mindfulness” Making exhalations longer than inhalations can be a great starting point and this blog contains a brilliant graphic to follow along to.
- Mantra: Mantra meditation is not everyone’s cup of tea. Although its roots are embedded in certain spiritual practices, more and more it is being incorporated into secular mindfulness practice. Mindworks gives an overview in their blog “What is Mantra Meditation?’
- Getting Outdoors: Being out “at one” with nature even for a few minutes a day can help to get a breather and maybe even get a different perspective on life. Perhaps look into your local state Parks & Wildlife for information on parks, hikes and other outdoor activities (https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/parks/things-to-do/hiking-in-state-parks)
- Journal: Journaling can also help to bring your focus inward and support with inner dialogue, self-awareness and self-discovery. Check out some mindful journaling tips here Yogiapproved.com and here theyogacitizen.com
- Focus on the Present: At times it can be so easy to get carried away with ruminating on the past or making plans for the future that we forget to live fully in the present. All the above 4 practices can be incorporated into daily life to be more “in the present”, whether it be at work, with your family or with yourself. Next time you find yourself drifting away from the present take a couple of minutes to breathe, chant a mantra, take a 5 min walk or jot down your thoughts and see how you feel.
We at Matr Boomie focus on intentional and mindful gift giving either for your own space or to give to a loved one. Find products to aid yours or your loved ones physical and emotional wellbeing journey to kick off 2022 here.
Decorate your sanctuary with green plants in planters, add the soothing sound of bell chimes and ambient light and scents with tealight and incense holders. Keep journals handy for jotting thoughts and intentions, use a yoga mat and display some inspirational quotes, landscapes of your favorite places or happy memories in picture frames.